January 14, 2014

January Calm


I know a lot of people don’t like January. It’s a letdown after the excitement of the holidays, and it’s snowy and slushy and freezing. (At least where I live.) But I like the first month of the year, especially this year. This past December I was stressed, Baby had sleeping issues, and we were all sick. January came as a welcome calm. I like getting back into the swing of things and moving on with life and fun projects and sewing.

But I’ve talked enough about sewing lately. I need to get back to food. [running to kitchen to get food] Okay, I’m back. [burp] I gifted myself with a new stand mixer and I’ve been trying it out on various recipes to make sure I want to keep it. The other day I made bread. I haven’t made bread since before Baby was born almost two years ago, so getting my hands into some yeasty dough again was awesome. And then I toasted some and slathered it with butter and homemade (not by me) jam. 



(And, yes, if you know me and my relationship with fruit, that is slathered.)


And then I sat down and enjoyed January.



Here’s the recipe for you to enjoy too. Try it. It’s easy peasy!


Ingredients
1 ½ cups warm water
2 ¼ teaspoons dry active yeast
½ cup honey, divided into two ¼-cup portions
½ tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons melted butter
3 ½–4 cups whole wheat flour (plus more if needed)
     
Directions
1. Put the yeast in a large bowl and add the warm water. Add ¼ cup honey and stir. Let it sit for a few minutes until it starts to bubble a bit.
2. Pour the other ¼ cup honey into the water/yeast mixture and stir. Add the 2 tablespoons melted butter and stir again. Add the salt and stir again.
3. Add the flour 1 cup at a time and not add the next cup until it’s at least moistened. Continue adding flour as needed until the dough forms a ball. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it rise for 1 hour.
4. Knead the dough for 3 minutes until it becomes harder to fold. Form into a loaf shape and place in a greased 9x5 pan. Push the dough down so it touches all four sides. Cover with a towel and let it rise for 30 minutes.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30–35 minutes. 

1 comment:

  1. That looks SO good. Confession time: I have never made homemade bread. I'm hoping the domestic bug bites me at some point in my life!

    ReplyDelete