March 13, 2014

Making a Diaper Bag


Recently, my friend Lindsay (who's expecting twins, bless her), asked me if I could make her a diaper bag. I was flattered and somewhat terrified, but I was excited for a new challenge. I was unsure about where to start, but after some discussion about what my friend wanted, we decided on a tote-type bag with a PUL (polyurethane laminate) lining, complete with fun pockets outside and in. I didn't have any kind of pattern, so basically I was flying by the seat of my pants. (Incidentally, what the heck does that mean?) I ended up taking four different patterns and meshing them all together, hoping it would come out the way I wanted. And I think it did. 

The front of the bag has two pockets, one for a pink binky and one for a blue binky.



The inside is made with PUL, a laminated fabric that is often used for cloth diapers. Other than that, I'm not sure what it's used for besides making sewers learn new swear words. This stuff is a beast to work with. Here we have a large zipper pocket and three open pockets.


And the surprise on the back? Detachable (and adjustable and padded) backpack straps.



My friend requested these for those times when she's got a baby carrier in each hand. I don't blame her. I don't want her to throw out a hip or something. I thought these would be the hardest part of the project, but they were pretty simple to make. I know they are very popular these days on those inexplicably overpriced Petunia Picklebottom bags (or, as I like to call them, Pansy Cucumberbutt), so I studied those and made them the same way.

Overall, I'm happy with how the bag turned out. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to know that something I made will help out a little with two sweet babies.

1 comment:

  1. I know I am so late commenting on this, but I want you to know how much I love the bag! I haven't even put anything in it yet, but it makes me smile each time I look at it, and I know it will be perfect. Thank you again for coming up with something so great from scratch!

    Oh, and the "Pansy Cucumberbutt" made me laugh really hard. I do like the look of those bags, but they are SO overpriced. Andrew died when I picked one up at the store and he saw how much it cost.

    ReplyDelete